Beit Tefilah Benyamin Synagogue

The Beit Tefilla Benjamin Synagogue was built in 1923 and was the only Jewish house of worship in Chernivtsi for over fifty years, from 1959 to 2012. The synagogue was built with donations from the Benjamin Schapiro family. A commemorative plaque affixed to the building in 1938 testifies to the close ties between German and Jewish culture at that time: the inscription is a German text in Hebrew letters.

Beit Tefilah Benyamin Synagogue
Religious buildings & cemeteries
erbaut
1923 - 1923

The murals inside the synagogue were painted by unknown painters from Chernivtsi. They have been preserved in their original form and are among the most outstanding examples of Jewish religious culture in Eastern Europe. The synagogue is led by Rabbi Koufmansky. In the documentary film "Herr Zwilling und Frau Zuckermann“ (“Mr Twin and Mrs Zuckermann"; 1999) a scene is set in this synagogue. 

Text: Mykola Kuschnir