In 1899, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of his reign, a cement statue of the Emperor was inaugurated on the so-called Schützenhöhe. After the Romanian government came to power in 1918, the Emperor's statue disappeared. On 17 October 1897, a monument to the first rector of Chernivtsi University, Constantin Tomaszczuk, was also unveiled in the park. The Tomaszczuk monument was later removed by the Soviets. Between 1900 and 1908, garden inspectors Anton Piotrowski and Dr Karl Bauer were responsible for the development and redesign of the park. On their initiative, cycle paths, a pond, a children's playground (which was converted into a skating rink in winter) and the public summer swimming pool Dianenbad were created in the Volksgarten. The two main avenues in the garden were furnished with benches.
In the inter-war period, the park was given the name “Gardina publica”, a direct translation from Romanian. The Gardina publica was renamed Mikhail Kalinin Park on 11 March 1946, after a Soviet official. In 1990 the park was given its present name - Taras Ševčenko Park. Today there are the following monuments in the park: a monument to the fallen Soviet soldiers, a bust of Taras Ševčenko and a monument to the poet Olha Kobyljansʾka, which was moved from the Theatre Square to the park.
The park is still a popular meeting place. There are various attractions for children, a café and tennis courts. The park is one of the city's natural monuments and is a listed building.
Text: Kateryna Stetsevych