Hotel Bellevue

The building, which belonged to the landowner Hermann Graubart, was built in the 1850s in classicist style. It was first used as a branch of the Austro-Hungarian Bank before being converted into a hotel at the turn of the century by the architect Morgenstern in the Secession style.
Hotel Bellevue
Hotels & Cafés
erbaut
1850 - 1900

The Hotel Bellevue was opened on 1 August 1900 by Bernhard Silber, who also ran the Hotel Central on Ringplatz/Herrengasse. It was located opposite the Café Habsburg and the Café de l'Europe and included a restaurant and a café as well as a hotel.

An account of the hotel's opening reads: On the second floor are comfortably furnished guest rooms with modern furniture, all facing the front. On the first floor is the heart of the establishment, a restaurant the like of which has never been seen in Chernivtsi and which would be an ornament to any large city. Professor Morgenstern has added something new to this restaurant, an attraction that makes it a summer place, namely a comfortable, spacious terrace, always shady, cool and with a magnificent view far into the countryside, which fully justifies the name of the Belle Vue establishment'. (Bukowinaer Post, 31 July 1900, p. 3).

The ground floor was first occupied by Romuald Schally's book, music and art shop, and later by a ladies' dress shop ('Katz und Sass'), a linoleum shop and a confectionery. In July 1918, the Ost-Österreichische Agrar- und Industriebank (Ostbank) took over the first and second floors of the hotel, continuing the tradition of banking in this location. In the inter-war period, the Romanian Banca de Est S.A. had its headquarters here.

Text: Markus Winkler and Oksana Herheliinyk