86159 Augsburg


Due to its exposed location in the centre of the city, directly on the Ringplatz, it was part of an architectural ensemble that had been built since the end of the 1840s (Town Hall, Hotel Bellevue, the neighbouring Secessionist building of the Savings Bank, etc.). The building, which stood on the corner of Ringplatz 5/Tempelgasse 1, also housed various shops that advertised with the name of the hotel Schwarzer Adler (e.g. watchmaker Salomon Ehrlich, shops for men's, women's and children's fashions such as Teitler & Sternberg or Heinrich Sekler's À la Ville de Paris). The hotel was completely renovated in 1904. From then on, guests could enjoy an “elegant bathing salon” and “the most elegant salons and halls were newly furnished” for “festive evenings, dinners, suppers, weddings and other events” (advertisement in: Czernowitzer Allgemeine Zeitung, 30 November 1904, p. 8). The hotel continued to operate during the Romanian period. The roof of the building now bore the large advertising slogan ”PHILIPS RADIO”.
Text: Markus Winkler
Fertigstellung des Hotels 1863
Annonce 1
Annonce 2
Renovierung des Hotels 1904
Ankunft des Korpskommandanten
Annonce 3
Verabschiedung von Josef A. Schumpeter im Hotel
Gästeliste
Kriegsküche 1917
Hotel "Zum Schwarzen Adler" in der Zwischenkriegszeit
Blick vom Hotel auf den Ringplatz
Gebäude des ehemaligen Hotels "Zum Schwarzen Adler"
Hotel "Zum Schwarzen Adler" in der österreichischen Zeit