Teacher Training College

One of the main concerns of the school authorities in Bukovina was the training of qualified teachers. Shortly after the 1848 revolution, an Orthodox preparatory school (lower level of primary school teacher training) was established in Chernivtsi on the initiative of the Bukovina Romanians. The reorganisation of the education system laid down in the Imperial Act of 1869 also changed teacher training. On 1 October 1870, the Chernivtsi Teacher Training School opened, followed by the Women's Teacher Training School in the autumn of 1872. Both formed a joint school with one director and one teaching staff, but boys and girls were taught in separate classes.

Teacher Training College
Education & Culture
erbaut
1887

From 1870 to 1895, a total of 108 teachers worked at the Teacher Training College in two training schools and the kindergarten. During this period, the Teacher Training College was housed in three buildings: the four-class secondary school in Schulgasse, parts of the Franz Joseph University in Chernivtsi, and finally, from 1887, in the newly built and very spacious building at 17 Stefaniestr. Dimitrie Isopescul was the director for more than 30 years, until he was succeeded by Michael Kuschniriuk in the autumn of 1901. Until the beginning of the 20th century, the language of instruction was German, but some subjects were also taught in Romanian and Ukrainian. During the nationalisation of education in the primary schools of Bukovina, there was a demand for all subjects to be taught to Romanian and Ukrainian pupils in their own languages at the Teacher Training College, which was partially met. In 1909/10, the teacher training college was divided into three national departments (German, Romanian and Ukrainian), each headed by a coadjutor who reported to the director. However, future teachers continued to study in German, except for the subjects of religion, mother tongue and work, which were also offered in Romanian and Ukrainian. After 1910, several private teacher training colleges were founded in Chernivtsi, including two German and one each in Romanian and Ukrainian. The tradition of teacher training centres was continued in this building in the interwar period and continues to the present day. Today it houses the College of Education (as part of the university). 

 

Text: Constantin Ungureanu 

Source: 

  1. Constantin Ungureanu: Mittelschulen und höhere Lehranstalten in der Bukowina vor 1918: Nationen, Sprachen und Geschlechter. Ein statistischer Überblick. In: Markus Winkler (Hg.): Partizipation und Exklusion. Zur Habsburger Prägung von Sprache und Bildung in der Bukowina. 1848 – 1918 – 1940, S. 115-128