The Jewish orphanage (official name: Kaiser Franz Joseph Jubilee Orphanage for Israelites in Chernivtsi) was inaugurated in 1900 after a long period of planning. However, the building in the former Fleischergasse, which was renamed Wagnergasse (after the Heinrich and Josefine Wagner Foundation donated 662,928 crowns to the orphanage), was built with funds from the Emperor Franz Joseph Jubilee Orphanage Foundation for Israelites (on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of his reign) and remained unused for about four years. It was only on 4 September 1904 that the orphanage was able to start work, after donations (from Josefine Wagner, widow of Heinrich Wagner, a member of the Reichsrat) and the Jewish Community, which administered the orphanage, had provided sufficient funds for its upkeep.
86159 Augsburg
















