Romanian People's House

The idea of the Romanian National House (Palatul Național) originated from a reading circle of Romanian intellectuals and boyars who decided in 1862 to establish a Society for the Promotion of the Romanian Language and Culture in Chernivtsi. However, it was years later, on 1 January 1875, that the Society for the Promotion of Romanian Literature and Culture in Bucovina (Societatea pentru Literatura şi Cultura Română în Bucovina) was registered by the Austrian authorities. The Society also supported the popularisation of Romanian in the schools of Bucovina. From 1886, the Society published the youth magazine Biblioteca pentru tinerimea română (Bukowiner Rundschau, 21 February 1892, p. 6).

Romanian People's House
National Houses & Associations
erbaut
1850

Gheorghe Hormuzaki, a lawyer from the famous Moldovan boyar family of Hormuzaki and brother of Eudoxiu, Alexandru, Nicolae and Constantin of Hormuzaki, was elected as the first president. Under the presidency of Dionisie Ritter von Bejan (1897-1920), the company acquired the building of the “Hotel Weiß”, including the restaurant and café, at Ringplatz 3, next to the savings bank. This building, which was built in the 1850s as part of the design of the entire Ringplatz, was home not only to the Romanian Society but also to other Romanian student, religious and cultural associations and organisations, such as the Romanian choral society “Armonia”, founded in 1881. In 1990, the Association, named after the Romanian poet Mihai Eminescu and led by Vasile Byku, resumed its activities in this building (now Central Square, address: 9 vul Ivana Franka). 

Text: Kateryna Stetsevych